The following guiding principles were framed to ensure our fidelity to what defines VCU and shapes the VCU experience.
- VCU will commit its resources to strategic priorities to ensure a return on its investment and will hold itself accountable for the efficient and transparent use of its resources to achieve institutional excellence.
- VCU’s multiple campuses will work collaboratively toward achievement of a unified vision, mission and strategic priorities.
- VCU embraces its commitment as a major urban, public research university and will direct its efforts, enrollment and institutional resources toward achievement of national/international prominence for its research, scholarship and creative expression.
- VCU is a learning-centered university that fosters discovery and innovation by bringing the resources of a major urban, public research institution to bear on the learning opportunities it makes available to its high quality, diverse and dynamic community.
- VCU is strongly committed to diversity, equal opportunity and nondiscrimination, and to the concept that as members of the university community, we will be guided by principles of professionalism and respect for each other in all aspects of our work, study and life within the university environment.
- VCU is committed to the core concepts of sustainability and will infuse those concepts in the stewardship of the university’s resources, in research endeavors and in curricular offerings related to sustainability and environmental ethics.